Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Did I send you a brief email message?

I value the finite time and attention that we all have available to us. I also find conversations to be rich and meaningful.

That said, I have a lot of email coming into my inbox. Maybe you do, too.

I am always aiming for brevity to respect others' priorities and to support my body which is limited in its capacity to sit and type. If what I write is not received as expressing care, please write again. My hope is that a timely, concise response respects you as much or more than a longer one because it is giving you the information you need quickly and more easily; you aren’t waiting for me to answer and don’t have to wade through a bunch of information to figure out what’s going on.

My brevity is intended to ensure I don’t bottleneck our conversation. I’m happy to have deeper connection and extended conversations. Please continue the conversation if it’s appropriate, and feel free to write in whatever length and style that feels comfortable for you. I don’t want my anti-bottlenecking practice to bottleneck you.

Also, I am open to receiving feedback on what it is like to have read this message, or to have received a brief message from me.

Be well,

Shulamit

PS If you’re curious about where I got my ideas for effective email management, and from whom I stole much of the wording for this post, check out http://www.productiveflourishing.com/how-to-write-brief-emails-without-being-a-jerk/ as well as these other free resources http://www.productiveflourishing.com/tag/email/ and this blog post http://www.martineve.com/2010/12/15/using-producteev-to-manage-overbearing-inboxes/

No comments:

Post a Comment